sweet potatoes only and low iron question

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

sweet potatoes only and low iron question

Postby toad » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:57 pm

Would it be okay to do sweet potatoes only for a few days? I find that easy to lose weight doing. I bake the potatoes and put them in my fridge and eat them cold, like that.

Reason, cause I have trouble with too much sodium and salt in foods. If I eat like broccoli/cabbage etc. with regular potatoes or rice, I end up overdoing it with the salt/soy sauce and think maybe I can wean off too much salt by doing sweet potato "fast" or whatever, cause with sweet potatoes, I can eat them without adding anything.

I had low Iron in my blood test, is it from not taking enough B12 supplements?

I'm obese and went off track, due to some changes stress, now getting back to caring for myself by eating this way.
toad

Re: sweet potatoes only and low iron question

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:24 pm

Yes. It would be fine.

When I first started (in a serious way), I did a version on Mary's mini with sweet potatoes as my starch. I also ate some vegetables and two fruits per day. I can't recall the specifics, but could look it up if needed. I kept a diary of whatever I ate and what exercise I did, as well as blood pressure readings, weight and notes about any illnesses or medications I may have taken. I found that useful in tracking what did or did not work for me.

I really liked sweet potatoes and thought I'd never get tired of them. But I did. Even so, I hung in there and lost very well.

I have no idea if there is any relationship between vitamin B12 and iron. That's a question for Jeff.
Vanilla Orchid

Return to Health Issues