Wheat intolerance

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Wheat intolerance

Postby RoseLilly » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:15 pm

I have spent the last 3 weeks keeping a count of my calories and have eaten between 800 to 1200 most days. I am a 61 year old female, weighing in at 111lb, I am moderately active with plenty of walking the majority of days. My diet is mainly a variety of vegetables and wholewheat cold cereal eaten with water. I would like to drop about 7lbs but am really struggling. The scales seem to be stuck. The only thing I think is that as I was previously diagnosed as non coeliac, wheat intolerant maybe this is causing the weight not to budge. About 400 calories in my day are made up from this whole wheat cereal. I am not on any regular medication that would cause a problem.
RoseLilly

Re: Wheat intolerance

Postby RoseLilly » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:11 am

Just in case anyone is reading this post I will update.
So I decided to cut out wheat for the week.
My calorie intake and exercise was pretty similar. I have been monitoring both for 3 weeks now.
I weighed in this morning and have lost 3lbs.
I am away from home next week but should be able to stay fairly consistently wheat free as I will be staying with a coeliac, although I do anticipate some meals away from the home environment which I may not have so much control over.
So I will be interested to see how it all turns out.
RoseLilly

Postby Vegan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:28 am

Gluten is very difficult to digest for a lot of people, so it's a wise decision to at least try how you feel without it. You should try this, be 28 days 100% gluten free and then go and eat a lot of gluten in a single day and wait for 24 hours and see how you feel.

I have to say that I'm quite sad that this forum is almost completely dead. When you ask a question, usually no one will answer. I don't know is it because WFPB lifestyle is dead or is it just that people don't care to help other people in this community. :cry:
Vegan

Postby RoseLilly » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:41 pm

Hi Vegan
Thank you for replying to me.
I think I have managed to be wheat free for about 2 weeks but ate out at a friends house tonight so I’m not quite sure what was ingested. But as I am currently away from home and catching up with old friends after a big move across country and 18 months of social isolation I am not questioning what is being given to me in the spirit of hospitality, although I am remaining animal free.
Anyway once I’m back home and in control again I will try out your suggestion.
I really thank you for your interest
RoseLilly

Postby RoseLilly » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:59 am

Had a brain lapse today and forgot I was trying out being wheat free.
Was out for lunch and could so easily have had a jacket potato but no, I had a sandwich. Never gave it a thought until about 2 hours later when I started to get a head ache, feel light headed and started to feel like I’d got blood sugar issues. I was busy thinking, “I feel like Ive eaten something I shouldn’t” when it suddenly dawned on me that I had.
That seems like proof to me that wheat is definitely not my friend.
However I will do another challenge after I have been wheat free properly for 28 days.
I’m a bit cross really as it definitely seemed to be helping with my weight loss by not eating wheat. But this week is not going to be a great success as far as compliance goes, but I am not purposefully intending to sabotage myself.
RoseLilly

Postby michaelswarm » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:28 pm

Wheat might, or might not be an issue. A good challenge like previously suggested, wheat free for a month, then lots of wheat. There are a number of habits you could try, each of which might contribute to a couple of pounds. Above all, keep being compliant.

Keep in mind that dry wheat breakfast cereal, as well as bread, is also higher calorie density (~1,200 calories per pound), compared to oatmeal, steamed rice or baked potato (~600 calories per pound.)

- 30m gentle exercise.
- Limit seasonings. No sugar or salt. Food simple and repetitive. Make food boring.
- No higher calorie density: bread, dry fruit, nuts, etc.
- Limit fruit, no dry fruit or fruit juices
- Eat vegetables first. Soups and salads.
- Smaller portions: eat until full, not stuffed.
- No Extra meals: no snacks
- No Liquid calories: no juices and no smoothies
michaelswarm

Postby RoseLilly » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:12 am

Thank you for your reply.
Yes I do intend to do the 28 days wheat free. I don’t know what happened with the sandwich thing…..old habits die hard I suppose, I just didn’t think.
Quite a bit of what is on the list you sent is pretty much what I do.
Definitely yes to the 30 minutes exercise a day, often more as I walk such a lot.
Don’t really like animal products so not eating them is easy for me and have never been a big fan of artificial meats so no temptation there either.
Free fats I gave up some time back when I first started discovering McDougall. Up until that time I was slapping coconut oil in everything. That was the same time I started weaning myself off salt, although I was never a very heavy user, but I no longer consume it daily.
So I’m doing pretty well although not 100% compliant. Getting there though and will definitely be getting down to it when I get back from my visit with relatives.
Thanks for the advice, always welcome.
RoseLilly

Postby curcubit » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:58 am

HI Rose,

I do think non-celiac wheat intolerance is a real thing. Researchers do too....you can type it into google scholar and find lots of papers on it. I personally feel my joints are better when I avoid wheat in all forms. I severely sprained my ankle in my teens, and when I turned fifty I noticed that my old ankle injury began to bother me....traumatic arthritis. I first did a trial of no nightshades for a month and did not see any relief, then tried a month of no gluten. That did the trick. After about six months of that, I began to re-introduce some whole grain rye products (rye crips and 100% rye mestemacher bread) occasionally with no ankle symptoms re-appearing. So i'm not sensitive to gluten (which rye contains), but the wheat. I also can eat farro occasionally (emmer, einkorn) which is ancestral wheat. So maybe it is just the more modern wheats I react too.

I wish I could say avoidance of wheat helped with weight loss, but never noticed that. I have done a wheat challenge and within two days of eating some whole wheat pasta or bread, my ankle pain returns like clockwork. I value my ability to hike, backpack, walk, swim, ski, etc painfree, so I am happy to continue avoiding wheat. I dont use any of the gluten free products...all the crackers, breads, pretzels...too calorie dense and no fiber. I do sometimes miss a nice sourdough sandwich bread, but after ten years I have a whole new world of eating habits that do not involve wheat (Yeah Asian food!). It is great to feel good in my 60 year old body when my peers seem to be falling apart (and eating crap!).
"One cannot pick a flower without troubling a star." Aldo Leopold
curcubit

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:24 am

RoseLilly wrote:Thank you for your reply.
Yes I do intend to do the 28 days wheat free.

Hi Rose,
I am curious how you are doing with no wheat. I started the elimination diet because of bad GI tract issues. I have strayed off the McDougall way of eating, including wheat products. Boy if this is the big cause of my issues, I have no problem never eating wheat products again.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Return to Health Issues