Gout on a whole foods plant based diet

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Gout on a whole foods plant based diet

Postby ANGELOJ » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:28 am

Hi All
Anyone here had gout while following a whole foods plant based diet?
I've been on this diet for 9 years now and generally, I've never been healthier in my life.
However 9 weeks ago I developed gout and it's still with me. While some days are better than others it is not really clearing up.
When it first developed I had a blood test and uric acid levels were normal.
I've been drinking tart cherry juice, and keeping my diet as simple as possible and avoiding medium purine foods.

To be honest I'm a bit confused as to why I've ended up with gout. All the advice tells me to stop doing the things I've not been doing for years (this includes alcohol which is normally a couple of glasses of wine on special occasions such as Christmas, Thanksgiving)

Am interested in other peoples experiences with gout.

Many thanks
Joe
ANGELOJ

Re: Gout on a whole foods plant based diet

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:03 am

ANGELOJ wrote:Anyone here had gout while following a whole foods plant based diet?

My husband did back in 2013, after years of eating *mostly* this way. What changed to cause this? He had CABG surgery then stopped eating the crap snacks after dinner and daily quart or more of soda. He also started a strict exercise regime. He rapidly lost 40 pounds and developed gout in his left big toe. Prior to surgery his uric acid level was perfect, but now it was way up. Both his primary care doc and podiatrist recommended a burst of colchicine and a few weeks of allopurinol. The pain in his foot stopped almost immediately after the first dose of colchicine, but it took a few weeks for the redness and swelling to go away. After his uric acid levels came down to normal he was able to come off the allopurinol. He's had 2 or 3 minor flare-ups since, but they were always after another drop in weight. His weight has been stable a few years now and no further flare-ups. He still keeps a bottle of colchicine handy, just in case, because he said the pain in his foot was worse than any pain in his chest, either before or after his surgery.

However 9 weeks ago I developed gout and it's still with me. While some days are better than others it is not really clearing up.

You most likely will need a round of med like my husband did. Both doctors told him it rarely goes away without medical intervention, especially since his diet was already avoiding all the foods that would have caused it.

To be honest I'm a bit confused as to why I've ended up with gout.

Have you lost weight lately? That was the cause in my husband's case.

All the advice tells me to stop doing the things I've not been doing for years (this includes alcohol which is normally a couple of glasses of wine on special occasions such as Christmas, Thanksgiving)

Definitely stop all alcoholic beverages. And make sure you stick with Dr. McDougall's guideline of no more than an average of 1 cup of beans per day. And watch what greens you eat. My husband was told to avoid spinach and asparagus, which was easy enough to do. That was about the only dietary change he had to make.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to take medications when prescribed by your doctor. Diet, even the McDougall one, doesn't cure everything, and even Dr McDougall prescribes medication when necessary.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/newsletters ... -the-rise/
VeggieSue

Postby Chumly » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:50 pm

Have you been eating much yeast or nutritional yeast? At one point my uric acid levels were running higher and after a search on the internet I found yeast can have a strong affect on uric acid levels. I cut out all yeast and my levels went back to normal.

Michael
Chumly

Postby toad » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:11 pm

I had episodes of gout on and off since a young age, and I never ate much meat before, it happened if I lost weight. One doctor said it wasn't actually gout but some rare form of arthritis few people get. I don't know what it was, but sudden weight loss seems to trigger it.
toad

Postby ANGELOJ » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:59 am

Thanks for all the responses. All very helpful
ANGELOJ

Return to Health Issues