modifying diet / lifestyle

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

modifying diet / lifestyle

Postby BeverlyDRiedel » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:44 pm

hello ! Im hoping for feedback and opinions and recommendations please ?!

Background info :
66 year old female , 100 lbs , 5’ tall -
gardener for work for 25 years so fairly strong and fit ,
bike and ski a lot , regular gym workouts, no weight issues

1985 became lacto vegetaron no eggs, past 35 years - initially I still ate cheese and more processed foods but refine / eliminate more every year for the last 20 yrs, mostly organic for 20+ years, mostly vegan for last 5 years ,
I do/did use butter to bake cookies , cupcakes, muffins, eat dark chocolate (sweet tooth ) regularly
and used 1/2 &1/2 for coffee , tea , love pero - grain beverage
occasionally ate dairy cheese , ice cream , never drink dairy milk

I take some individual supplements , mushrooms too -
Garden of Life meal replacement and green superfod for smoothie with fruit juices, frozen fruit, fresh kale

The past 2 years + I had been substituting coconut/almond milk, cream in my coffee tea , maybe 1 cup / day 3-4 times week,
eating more nuts for protein, olive oil for roasting or sautéing , and for salad dressing frequently,
plant based ice cream , no canola oil
I eat a lot of fruit , tons of greens, veggies, rice, quinoa, not a lot of beans but I like bean / lentil pasta , wheat pasta, rice pasta,
hummus, avocados , sourdough bread, a lot of almond flour or cassava flour crackers
Only tempeh, seitan, tofu maybe once a month or less , no fake meats, no fake cheese

Only in last few years my cholesterol and blood pressure have gone to borderline levels -
my doctor wants to “watch” for the next year ,
Ive had a CT scan for coronary calcium and LAD is moderate at 264 , stress test and statin recommended
also I’m osteopenia - border line osteoporosis ,
my AIC is 4.9, my C-reactive protein is 5.1

My plan after reading Esseltyn book(s) on reverseing heart disease and the Engine 2 books I'm going to eliminate nuts, olive oil, and coconut milk, cream, oil (sub oat milk) , wondering about avocados, nuts/peanut/almond butter

Supplements I'm wondering about : AlgaeCal /Strontium program for last year and half to increase bone density -
( I have had dexa bone scans and my numbers have improved slightly )
Just started with red yeast rice for a statin replacement

thank you so much !
BeverlyDRiedel

Re: modifying diet / lifestyle

Postby Daydream » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:01 pm

Beverly, welcome to the forum! The best thing you can do for your health is to completely eliminate dairy (any milk, eggs or cheese products) and eliminate all oils. You already said you don't eat any animals, which is great. If you have no weight problems, it's fine to have a small amount of avocado, nuts and nut butter.

I don't know anything about AlgaeCal /Strontium so I can't help you with that but strength training and weight bearing exercise helps with bone density. You can wear a 10 pound weighted vest while walking to help with bone density.
Daydream

Postby pundit999 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:01 pm

Great HA1C!
Not so good cardio CRP. But that value can change a lot if you got a vaccine or was sick a bit when you took the test.

You don't mention it but since you say borderline I am assuming total cholesterol around 200 and LDL around 100 (more likely 150)
And the calcium score is a bit worrisome: you do have heart disease.

Adhering to Dr Esselstyn or Dr McDougall's whole plants only diet, you should be able to reduce your plaques by about 15-20 %. Seems like a small number but the blood flow is proportional inversely to four square of diameter ( if you decrease plaques by r, blood flow increases by r^4). Also plaques become stable on this diet and the blood naturally thins out. TMAO also improves.

Also cardio CRP will go down fast.

You have to be especially careful if you have a family history of heart disease.
Probably best to not start the statin right now. Try this diet strictly, no flour, no oil, no nuts, no avocadoes etc. for a few months. Retest and re-assess. Also lots of greens.

Stress test is not of much use. Never get the nuclear one for sure. You already know you have heart disease. Just do the best treatment there is: a whole plants only diet.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
pundit999

Postby BeverlyDRiedel » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:55 pm

Daydream wrote:Beverly, welcome to the forum! The best thing you can do for your health is to completely eliminate dairy (any milk, eggs or cheese products) and eliminate all oils. You already said you don't eat any animals, which is great. If you have no weight problems, it's fine to have a small amount of avocado, nuts and nut butter.

I don't know anything about AlgaeCal /Strontium so I can't help you with that but strength training and weight bearing exercise helps with bone density. You can wear a 10 pound weighted vest while walking to help with bone density.
pundit999 wrote:Great HA1C!
Not so good cardio CRP. But that value can change a lot if you got a vaccine or was sick a bit when you took the test.

You don't mention it but since you say borderline I am assuming total cholesterol around 200 and LDL around 100 (more likely 150)
And the calcium score is a bit worrisome: you do have heart disease.

Adhering to Dr Esselstyn or Dr McDougall's whole plants only diet, you should be able to reduce your plaques by about 15-20 %. Seems like a small number but the blood flow is proportional inversely to four square of diameter ( if you decrease plaques by r, blood flow increases by r^4). Also plaques become stable on this diet and the blood naturally thins out. TMAO also improves.

Also cardio CRP will go down fast.

You have to be especially careful if you have a family history of heart disease.
Probably best to not start the statin right now. Try this diet strictly, no flour, no oil, no nuts, no avocadoes etc. for a few months. Retest and re-assess. Also lots of greens.

Stress test is not of much use. Never get the nuclear one for sure. You already know you have heart disease. Just do the best treatment there is: a whole plants only diet.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
Daydream wrote:Beverly, welcome to the forum! The best thing you can do for your health is to completely eliminate dairy (any milk, eggs or cheese products) and eliminate all oils. You already said you don't eat any animals, which is great. If you have no weight problems, it's fine to have a small amount of avocado, nuts and nut butter.

total cholesterol is 211 - HDL 114 LDL 77
please explain about the CRP - i thought i was told its in good range and , what is cardio CRP ?

I was hoping someone would check out the ingredients or have seen the advertisemants about AlgaeCal plus Strontium -
I take 2 capsules twice a day at meals -
vitamin C (calcium ascorbate) 25mg
vitamin D (cholecalciferol) 20 mg
calcium (AlgaeCal algas calcáreas) 360mg
magnesium (mag oxide & AlgaeCal algas calcáreas) 175 mg
boron 1.5mg
vitamin K 50mcg

I take 2 strontium (strontium citrate) 680 mg
at bedtime

I had TKR / revision in May so still getting back in shape and strength, cant wear a weight vest now but did in past and did plenty of weight bearing exercise

please comment on fruit and greens smoothies with a plant based protein powder , and "not drinking calories"
I do not have to lose weight and like this for breakfast along with oatmeal
BeverlyDRiedel

Postby BeverlyDRiedel » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:52 pm

otal cholesterol is 211 - HDL 114 LDL 77
please explain about the CRP - i thought i was told its in good range and , what is cardio CRP ?

I was hoping someone would check out the ingredients or have seen the advertisemants about AlgaeCal plus Strontium -
I take 2 capsules twice a day at meals -
vitamin C (calcium ascorbate) 25mg
vitamin D (cholecalciferol) 20 mg
calcium (AlgaeCal algas calcáreas) 360mg
magnesium (mag oxide & AlgaeCal algas calcáreas) 175 mg
boron 1.5mg
vitamin K 50mcg

I take 2 strontium (strontium citrate) 680 mg
at bedtime

I had TKR / revision in May so still getting back in shape and strength, cant wear a weight vest now but did in past and did plenty of weight bearing exercise

please comment on fruit and greens smoothies with a plant based protein powder , and "not drinking calories"
I do not have to lose weight and like this for breakfast along with oatmeal
BeverlyDRiedel

BeverlyDRiedel

Return to Health Issues