autoimmune disease and schizophrenia

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

autoimmune disease and schizophrenia

Postby toad » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:08 pm

I listened to the talk on autoimmune disease with Mc Dougall and Chef AJ today, https://youtu.be/dIgQ_nhDo60
and have some questions about schizophrenia being related to gut health and auto immune disease.

There isn't a lot of research on schizophrenia I think cause of stigma, so I appreciate that it was brought up at all.

But, for gut health should I take probiotics, and/or just eat the starch based diet?

I've heard somewhere that schizophrenics should avoid, cheese and gluten, so I thought the talk was interesting.

So do I avoid gluten? on this diet?

I am on medications for schizophrenia, so while I do this diet, do I need to do anything to counter act the medications.

Can I slowly lower and go off of them, once I heal my gut and get my healthy?

Thanks,
Teresa
toad

Re: autoimmune disease and schizophrenia

Postby Daydream » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:43 pm

Teresa, with the questions you have above, I think it would be a good idea to have a phone consultation with psychologist Dr. Doug Lisle:

https://esteemdynamics.com/about/
Daydream

Postby toad » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:06 pm

Confused after listening to a recent YouTube where Doug Lisle mentioned all mental disorders are really just personality, although I agree to some extent it gives me a introverted personality, my personality changed a lot on medications, and during puberty when it really showed up. I was a happy go lucky kid and went from that to a hermit like introvert once schizophrenia showed up. If it's a personality it doesn't change? or can a plant based diet like this one, help? Is it a autoimmune disease or just a personality?
toad

Postby Daydream » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:13 am

Teresa (toad), I am not an expert on this subject but it is my understanding that schizophrenia is genetic and our personalities are genetic too. We can't change our genetics but we can alter the environment which can sometimes help situational matters. I do not believe schizophrenia is an autoimmune disease although someone with schizophrenia can also have an autoimmune disease. A plant exclusive diet can significantly improve your overall general health and I highly recommend the McDougall diet for optimal health but diet will not cure schizophrenia. Dr. Lisle is an expert and he can help guide you better.
Daydream

Postby toad » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:14 pm

Daydream wrote:Teresa (toad), I am not an expert on this subject but it is my understanding that schizophrenia is genetic and our personalities are genetic too. We can't change our genetics but we can alter the environment which can sometimes help situational matters. I do not believe schizophrenia is an autoimmune disease although someone with schizophrenia can also have an autoimmune disease. A plant exclusive diet can significantly improve your overall general health and I highly recommend the McDougall diet for optimal health but diet will not cure schizophrenia. Dr. Lisle is an expert and he can help guide you better.

Thanks, I was hoping for a cure, just hate to rely on medications to be a sound mind.
toad

Postby Daydream » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:10 am

Teresa, Dr. Lisle is not hot on the use of psychiatric medications but he can tell you more about that if you consult with him. Dr Lisle highly recommends the book, Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America by Robert Whitaker. That book is Dr. Lisle's bible when it comes to all questions of psychopharmacology. Lisle thinks psych meds are over-prescribed by a factor of 50. The book might be available at your public library otherwise it is cheap on Amazon.
Daydream

Postby Anna Green » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:11 am

Hi. I have seen people online talking about wfpb and schizophrenia. I have also seen info about a type of community living in other countries that has had a positive impact. So I would say this. Read everything you can get your hands on...both solid research and anecdotal reports. Try things...diet, lifestyle, wimhof, whatever. And don't let anyone tell you this is what you got and just suck it up. No one knows everything. I've worked with a lot of people with various mental health issues and have seen people stabilize and thrive. That said I would use my common sense as I am sure you would. Red candies probably aren't a cure no matter what someone says. However if someone with schizophrenia told me eating a high nutrient wfpb diet lessened their symptoms I would not discount it. I know personality and genetics are factors. But what we do counts as well. I could just say I'm an anxious person with PTSD and do nothing because my mother is anxious, my grandmother was anxious, my sister is anxious, etc. Or I could do all the things I do that are tried and true in decreasing my anxiety and increasing my well-being. Habits like meditation and breathing exercises help me. I have learned some exercises too that help me in moments when I am working with people that I can do without them knowing I'm doing them. They keep the panic and crying at bay. They help me when I am triggered. I have no doubt that it is genetic and environmental and what I have experienced. What I eat makes a difference. People around me realized it before I did. One friend said...you are less angry after I had eaten well for awhile. (I get angry sometimes when anxious) So hang in there. There is a camp that says people with autism or schizophrenia have a problem not because of them but because of an intolerant society. I'm sure there is a nugget of truth there. For me it's all about this... do I get to do the things in life I want to do without unnecessary suffering. And I am fighting hard for that.
Anna Green

Postby toad » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:29 pm

Anna Green wrote:Hi. I have seen people online talking about wfpb and schizophrenia. I have also seen info about a type of community living in other countries that has had a positive impact. So I would say this. Read everything you can get your hands on...both solid research and anecdotal reports. Try things...diet, lifestyle, wimhof, whatever. And don't let anyone tell you this is what you got and just suck it up. No one knows everything. I've worked with a lot of people with various mental health issues and have seen people stabilize and thrive. That said I would use my common sense as I am sure you would. Red candies probably aren't a cure no matter what someone says. However if someone with schizophrenia told me eating a high nutrient wfpb diet lessened their symptoms I would not discount it. I know personality and genetics are factors. But what we do counts as well. I could just say I'm an anxious person with PTSD and do nothing because my mother is anxious, my grandmother was anxious, my sister is anxious, etc. Or I could do all the things I do that are tried and true in decreasing my anxiety and increasing my well-being. Habits like meditation and breathing exercises help me. I have learned some exercises too that help me in moments when I am working with people that I can do without them knowing I'm doing them. They keep the panic and crying at bay. They help me when I am triggered. I have no doubt that it is genetic and environmental and what I have experienced. What I eat makes a difference. People around me realized it before I did. One friend said...you are less angry after I had eaten well for awhile. (I get angry sometimes when anxious) So hang in there. There is a camp that says people with autism or schizophrenia have a problem not because of them but because of an intolerant society. I'm sure there is a nugget of truth there. For me it's all about this... do I get to do the things in life I want to do without unnecessary suffering. And I am fighting hard for that.

Thanks for the response. I really believe it will lessen the symptoms, this diet. Tired reducing slowly and the problem is with withdrawing, I get off balance and make major life changes or shake things up just barely going off medications, so for now I am sticking to getting this diet right and losing weight, then once I got this down I will try withdrawal again.
toad

Return to Health Issues