Vertigo Caused By Plant-Based Diet?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vertigo Caused By Plant-Based Diet?

Postby jackieleftwich » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:29 pm

I'm working with someone who says she is unable to eat plant-based because when she does she gets vertigo. She has to eat fish to stop the vertigo. I'm not sure what to say to her. Is there a medical reason why this may be the case or are her beliefs that she can't be plant-based without fish causing the vertigo? She is a physician.

She wrote...
"I truly have vertigo when I am strictly plant based and this has occurred every time I have tried. My longest journey was for 1.5 years and I had vertigo for 8 months straight, a horrifying experience. I have told my friend XX that he needs to make me his one case study of the type who Just can’t do it. I Am back to seafood only which I have at least 3-4 times per week."

Yuk, fish.

Thanks for your help.
jackieleftwich

Re: Vertigo Caused By Plant-Based Diet?

Postby Ejeff » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:06 pm

I would be very skeptical that going vegan causes the vertigo. Perhaps it is some other nutritional deficiencies. They say the longest they went Vegan was 18 months of which they had vertigo for 8 of those. Using that data it means she did not have vertigo for 10 of those months. I would point that out to her.

Also, people that don’t want to eat plants often come up with all kinds of excuses to justify their bad habits. And imho fish is a bad habit :-D

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby jackieleftwich » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:18 pm

Excellent point. 10 months she did not have vertigo.
jackieleftwich

Postby KillSwitch » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:07 am

Why not include a little fish with the WFPB diet? No need to abandon everything and revert to eating SAD.
KillSwitch

Postby RacingSnake108 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:10 am

Maybe detoxing from all the mercury and parasites is making her feel unwell :-P
RacingSnake108

Postby RacingSnake108 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:11 am

KillSwitch wrote:Why not include a little fish with the WFPB diet? No need to abandon everything and revert to eating SAD.

No that makes way too much sense :D
RacingSnake108

Postby Jelliqal » Fri May 20, 2022 8:17 pm

I would wonder if too little salt made her blood pressure too low.
Jelliqal

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:30 pm

Is she eating enough food? My husband has low blood pressure and sometimes gets vertigo. His doctor said to be sure not to skip meals.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby viv » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:22 am

Eat more starch!
One big error in going vegan is not eating enough calories in the form of starch. We have to eat enough calories to keep going and starch (potatoes, rice, oatmeal, corn, beans etc.) The body breaks down starch molecules into glucose, which is the body's primary fuel source. (That's why keto is dangerous as the brain is deprived of glucose).

Low Blood Sugar:
Two weeks ago in the late morning I became very dizzy at work which is unusal for me. (Been on the McDougall Diet for ten years). A coworker said I may have low blood sugar so sure enough I drank some orange juice and felt better, then I ate my pbj sandwich, which I pack every day for lunch and felt very well. I had missed breakfast that morning as I was running late. So now I make sure to have breakfast and also Gatorade or similar available just in case. I am older now so as we age we need to be more vigilant.

Vitamin B12 deficiency:
Most important! Do not overlooked vitamin B12 deficiency. To be on the safe side take vitamin B12 as part of your regimen. Anything not needed will be eliminated. Many people, meateaters as well as vegans, are deficient and do not know it, vitamin B12 deficiency can case a myriad of nerurological symptoms including dizziness. Lack of vitamin B12 can cause permanent nurological damage so get tested. You need to be in the medium to high range to be on the safe side.

I hope this post is useful for you!
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Return to Health Issues