How often do you need to take B12?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How often do you need to take B12?

Postby KillSwitch » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:50 am

If you are following a strict WFPB diet, how often should you take a B12 supplement? Daily, every few days, weekly, etc.?
KillSwitch

Re: How often do you need to take B12?

Postby Drew_ab » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:03 pm

It depends on how much you are taking. I personally take 1000 mcg 2-3 times per week.
Drew_ab

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:53 am

Drew_ab wrote:I personally take 1000 mcg 2-3 times per week.
I do the same. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:38 am

Mark Cooper wrote:
Drew_ab wrote:I personally take 1000 mcg 2-3 times per week.
I do the same. :)

Same here. Just had my labs done last month and B-12 is in the normal range so the doc said to continue doing what I'm doing.

In various interviews Dr McDougall has mentioned he has 3 different types of B12 on the shelf (methylcoblalamine, cyanocobalamine, and one other that I can't remember right now) and he just grabs one about once every month, with no set schedule. I'm a little OCD and just rotate back and forth between the first 2 when I need to buy another bottle and take it on schedule 3 x weekly.
VeggieSue

Postby pundit999 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:31 pm

Dr Greger advises:
Dr. Greger has updated his recommendation for B12 supplementation, now suggesting at least 2,000 mcg (µg) cyanocobalamin once each week, ideally as a chewable, sublingual, or liquid supplement taken on an empty stomach, or at least 50 mcg daily of supplemental cyanocobalamin. (You needn't worry about taking too much.)

But yes, I heard Dr McDougall saying that he alternates between the two kinds (methylcoblalamine, cyanocobalamine,) I don't know what a third kind is. Never heard of it.
pundit999

Postby pundit999 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:36 pm

What Are the Four Types of Vitamin B12?
While known commonly as ‘Vitamin B12’ it does, in fact, exist in four very similar chemical forms, namely:

Methylcobalamin
Adenosylcobalamin
Cyanocobalamin
Hydroxocobalamin
Methylcobalamin and Adenosylcobalamin are both naturally occurring co-enzymes that are found in food sources. They work synergistically in slightly different ways to cover most of your Vitamin B12 needs.

Cyanocobalamin is a synthetic form of Vitamin B12 which the body converts into Adenosylcobalamin and Methylcobalamin before it can be used. The most common and cost-effective form of Vitamin B12, Cyanocobalamin is most often found in supplements and some fortified foods.

Hydroxocobalamin is a highly bioavailable form of Vitamin B12 that is used to treat people with serious deficiencies. It’s only available on prescription and is usually administered by intramuscular shot or in an IV drip.

I guess the three options are Methylcobalamin, Adenosylcobalamin, Cyanocobalamin. It is likely good enough to just consume one naturally occurring one and one synthetic: Methylcobalamin and Cyanocobalamin. I remember Dr McDougall saying there is some evidence that it is better to take both types.
pundit999

Postby Vegan » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:41 pm

Hydroxocobalamin B12 is available in tablet form at least from iHerb. I have used it many years and my active B12 level was quite high. It's the only form that doesn't give me any side effects.

Also Dr. McDougall says that he recommends methylcobalamin, adenocylcobalamin and hydroxocobalamin but not cyanocobalamin.
Vegan

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:54 pm

I take a sublingual that includes a combination of Methylcobalamin, Adenosylcobalamin & Hydroxocobalamin, in equal amounts.
Mark Cooper

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:16 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:I take a sublingual that includes a combination of Methylcobalamin, Adenosylcobalamin & Hydroxocobalamin, in equal amounts.

What brand, Mark?
VeggieSue

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:46 pm

VeggieSue wrote:
Mark Cooper wrote:I take a sublingual that includes a combination of Methylcobalamin, Adenosylcobalamin & Hydroxocobalamin, in equal amounts.

What brand, Mark?

Currently, Igennus Super B12-Complex 1000mcg, Sublingual Vitamin B12, 180 Servings, Methylcobalamin, Adenosylcobalamin & Hydroxocobalamin. My only complaint is that these take quite a while to dissolve. I have used the KAL B-12 Methylcobalamin & Adenosylcobalamin ActivMelt Tabs in the past, and they dissolved much more quickly.
Mark Cooper

Return to Health Issues