Fruit Question

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fruit Question

Postby KillSwitch » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:37 pm

Can eating too much fruit be unhealthy. I mostly eat honeydew melons. I can eat a whole one in a day. Do you think this is bad or unhealthy? What is your opinion? How much fruit do you eat daily? I also enjoy green apples, blueberries, and bananas but I only eat small amounts of those fruits in my oatmeal each morning. I munch on the honeydew melon slices throughout the day. :D
KillSwitch

Re: Fruit Question

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:47 am

Besides the obvious calorie overload, some people can't tolerate too many fruits because of their triglycerides. I know if I eat more than 2-3 fruits a week my trigs go up to 200 or more.

Also, eating too much fruit fills your stomach so there's no room for veggies, or even the starches that this food plan is based on. You may get enjoyment from fruit, but not satiety - only the starches do that.

And don't forget the effect of all that sugar, albeit natural ones, on your teeth.
VeggieSue

Postby KillSwitch » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:11 pm

Thanks Veggie Sue...

It looks like you are one of the only ones here now who responds to posts. :)
KillSwitch

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:17 pm

KillSwitch wrote:It looks like you are one of the only ones here now who responds to posts. :)

Most people ran off to one of the many McDougall themed Facebook communities (All unofficial and not endorsed by the McDougall Program).
VeggieSue

Postby Chumly » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:49 am

It can be problematic. I think it depends on your overall diet and how you tolerate it. If it's elevating your triglycerides, cut back. I've noticed I tend to eat more fruit and less starch in the warmer weather.

Michael
Chumly

Postby Drew_ab » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:46 pm

I personally each large quantities of fruit each day and I find it to be one of the most joyful things of life - my caloric needs are often about 3000 per day, and I can often eat 500-1000 calories of fruit. I also eat generous amounts of starches, veggies, and other whole plant foods. My bloodwork has never shown any indication that I have any problems (i.e. high triglycerides) from it and if anything it's just the opposite. My wife and children's experience has been similar in that they each generous amounts of fruit and seem to do quite well though they aren't strict WFPB eaters like me, but they do lean pretty far in that direction... meat and animal products are not a daily event for them.
Drew_ab

Postby Lzs » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:35 pm

I used to have just fruit for breakfast but had the problem of high triglycerides and blood sugar spikes - I am at a healthy weight bmi 17-18. I replaced all my fruit with vegetables and starch and my blood sugar much more stable and triglycerides still high probably from starches at around 200 but lower than when doing fruit.
Lzs

Return to Health Issues