IYO, is Dr. Fuhrman right about this?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

IYO, is Dr. Fuhrman right about this?

Postby KillSwitch » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:03 pm

He says>>>
And a lower white blood cell count is associated with longer life. We’re talking about here the normal range is about 5 -10 and that a person eating a nutritarian diet or a high-nutrient diet which I call a nutritarian diet can drop the white blood cell count to 2.5 and a conventional physician, not knowing this, may then refer you to an oncologist thinking you need a bone marrow biopsy and workup. Really it just shows that you’re in better health, the white blood count is so low. I’m saying that doctors should be taught, that people who eat very very healthily with lots of green vegetables, berries and beans, then their white blood count is supposed to be low. It’s a good sign, not a bad sign.

I ask this bc I had some bloodwork done and my WBC count was 2.59.
Last edited by KillSwitch on Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillSwitch

Re: IYO, is Dr. Fuhrman roight about this?

Postby Drew_ab » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:30 pm

Dr. Greger agrees with Dr. Fuhrman on the topic. This URL below sheds some light on the topic. https://nutritionfacts.org/2020/10/29/w ... shoot-for/

Personally, my WBC count has always been close to the low end of the normal range, or sometimes below (see the link for my last 15 results). For context I have been following this WOE for just over 11 years now. I do not have my pre-WFPB numbers to compare to, but if I were to guess I would almost certainly say that they would have been higher.

https://ibb.co/gzMb9R1

I have been following the work of Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick closely, but do not recall if they have ever commented on the topic of WBC counts specifically.
Drew_ab

Postby KillSwitch » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:33 pm

Wow Drew, thanks for the two links (very helpful). Yep, you are correct. Dr. Greger agrees with Dr. Fuhrman in the video. You said you have been eating like this for over 11 years now. Tell me what you mostly eat if you do not mind sharing? Also, do you have any previous HBA1C results that you could share with me?

I had the flaxseed in my oat groats today btw. It made the oats much more enjoyable to eat. :D
KillSwitch

Postby Drew_ab » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:32 am

KillSwitch wrote:Wow Drew, thanks for the two links (very helpful). Yep, you are correct. Dr. Greger agrees with Dr. Fuhrman in the video. You said you have been eating like this for over 11 years now. Tell me what you mostly eat if you do not mind sharing? Also, do you have any previous HBA1C results that you could share with me?

I had the flaxseed in my oat groats today btw. It made the oats much more enjoyable to eat. :D

Hi Killswitch,

This thread outlines my eating patterns to some extent: https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... =1&t=61699 It's a year old, but it would still hold true at the moment. The only thing I am not currently consuming is caffeine, which I have paused intermittently many times over the years.

As for my HBA1C, these are the results I have available to me. It has held very consistent over the past four years from 4.6 to 4.8. Unfortunately, I don't have previous data points included in the platform that stores my health info. Having said that, I do not see why it would have been any different previously since my lifestyle would have been remarkably similar.

https://ibb.co/n0GckBf
Drew_ab

Postby KillSwitch » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:50 am

Drew,

Thanks so much friend for those links and for talking to me. The thread that outlines your eating patterns are things that help me immensely and inspire me. I like to emulate successful ppl. You look fantastic btw and I bet you feel great as you have indicated. There is no better feeling than being healthy and feeling energetic each day. You also look fairly young. I am 59 years old, so I am trying to undo many more years of unhealthy eating. I did start in 2013 and I am over 95% compliant now. I wish in hindsight I had started much younger, but I had no clue as to how important diet was to health and well-being. I was simply ignorant about optimal human nutrition and thought as long as I exercise and keep myself slim, I can eat whatever I want and be healthy. Now I know this is not true. Altho exercise does play an important role, food is the #1 thing when it comes to health. Had I known that back then, I would have easily converted to a WFPB diet.

I have a few more questions Drew when you have the time. Do you eat nuts? Do you take any other supplements besides B12? Which one plant food would you say you eat the most of? Do you eat oatmeal and how often? Finally, do you have any past lipid panel results that you can share with me? Thanks and I hope you are enjoying your weekend.
KillSwitch

Postby Drew_ab » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:12 pm

KillSwitch wrote:Drew,

Thanks so much friend for those links and for talking to me. The thread that outlines your eating patterns are things that help me immensely and inspire me. I like to emulate successful ppl. You look fantastic btw and I bet you feel great as you have indicated. There is no better feeling than being healthy and feeling energetic each day. You also look fairly young. I am 59 years old, so I am trying to undo many more years of unhealthy eating. I did start in 2013 and I am over 95% compliant now. I wish in hindsight I had started much younger, but I had no clue as to how important diet was to health and well-being. I was simply ignorant about optimal human nutrition and thought as long as I exercise and keep myself slim, I can eat whatever I want and be healthy. Now I know this is not true. Altho exercise does play an important role, food is the #1 thing when it comes to health. Had I known that back then, I would have easily converted to a WFPB diet.

I have a few more questions Drew when you have the time. Do you eat nuts? Do you take any other supplements besides B12? Which one plant food would you say you eat the most of? Do you eat oatmeal and how often? Finally, do you have any past lipid panel results that you up can share with me? Thanks and I hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Hi Killswitch,

I am thrilled to hear that you found that motivational and that it serves to keep you on the right track. You are right that there is no better feeling than being healthy and energetic. They say "A healthy person has a thousand dreams and aspirations, while a sick person only has one." Of course, the sick persons only aspiration is to be healthy. Our health truly is our wealth. The fact that you are 95% complaint and have been leaning in this direction since 2013 is remarkable and you deserve a lot of credit for that.

To answer your questions, yes I do eat nuts - I will include walnuts, pecans, brazil nuts, cashews, and pretty much any nut that is in its unadulterated state (and the same goes for seeds). My preference is for them to be raw to reduce the amount of advanced glycation end products that are caused when high-fat/high-protein foods are cooked/heated. My only struggle is that raw nuts are one of the food groups that are difficult to get organic where I live. I also do eat some avocado and some organic cocoa powder, though not at the moment since I am not currently consuming caffeine or stimulants including theobromine. At times I have included some supplements, but this is generally the exception rather than the rule. I have supplemented with B-12 from the beginning 11 years ago and will continue to do so moving forward. I do live at a northern latitude equivalent to London, England, which means that the angle of the sun makes it so that I cannot obtain sufficient vitamin D for 6 months per year. Thus I supplement with 1000-2000 iu's of vitamin D daily. A few times per year I pick up a few bags of seaweed to include in my diet for the purposes of iodine, but it is certainly not clear that this is necessary and it is somewhat of a whole food. There is the odd supplement I have tried (i.e. magnesium for sleep), though nothing that I have stuck with for any measure of time worth mentioning.

It would be hard to pinpoint which food I eat the most of. Currently, about 50% of my starch (~750 calories per day) comes from legumes, lentils, and other foods in that genre. I do eat generous amounts of either steel cut oats or rolled outs too, and as I said in my anniversary post, there have been times where I have basically lived off of oatmeal as my starch for long periods. Having said that, my fridge often has generous amounts of other starches like sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, potatoes, and so forth as my family prepares and consumes them. I have a few rules I loosely adhere to as well (loosely being the key word). They might include:

-Eating generous amounts of leafy greens each day
-Eating generous amounts of cruciferous vegetables each day
-Eating allium family vegetables each day
-Eating berries each day
-Eating spices (including turmeric) each day
-Eating as a large variety of plants as possible on a weekly basis
-Eating food in a limited time window (I've experiment with various forms of TRF and intermittent fasting)

There are probably more guidelines I have... that's what comes to mind offhand though. I will be the first to say that some people around here will criticize me for getting lost in the minutiae with some of these matters but I am happy to live with that criticism (i.e. a reductionist mindset). My non-starchy plant intake is probably about 3 pounds per day.

Last but not least, below are the four lipid panels I have access to. With the first three you will notice how consistent the results are.

https://ibb.co/CQXf3nR

The last test is an outlier since I conducted an experiment to see what would happen if I introduced a small amount of animal products into my diet. It is literally the results of eating a total of just 12 eggs spread out over 8 weeks.

I acquired a dozen eggs from a friends backyard chicken during this time. I should point out that these eggs are as high quality as you could possibly get. They were truly free-range, well cared for, and properly fed chickens who produce eggs that are nothing like eggs you find in a store. The eggs themselves were blue or brown in colour and had yokes that very richly coloured. Well long story short, that small number of eggs sure affected my lipid profile. It's funny since I wondered if my very high-fibre diet (often close to 100g per day) might bind to the cholesterol and flush it away, or if all those phyto-nutrients in my high nutrient plants foods might obliterate the cholesterol rather than raise serum levels, but that was not what happened. It is the only time I have ever conducted such an experiment.

(I converted the metrics to the standard US measurement that most people are familiar with - they are in red).
Drew_ab

Re: IYO, is Dr. Fuhrman right about this?

Postby KillSwitch » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:22 pm

Thanks again Drew for your reply and sharing. Your blood test results are enviable and indicative of good health. I found your egg eating experiment fascinating. Your Total cholesterol was still good (below the 150 threshold) but the eggs did raise the TC considerably.

The nuts have no impact it seems. I like eating a handful of nuts (walnuts usually) in my oatmeal. :D

Another question Drew. You responded to my flaxmeal question in another thread. Is just one tablespoon full per day of flaxmeal enough to get the recommended Omega 3 we need in your opinion?
KillSwitch

Return to Health Issues