How many calories to lose weight?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How many calories to lose weight?

Postby Lighthouse31 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:42 am

This starts with the caveat: I know we don't count calories here.

But I need to lose weight. I will be happy with a slow loss. I am 117KG at 5'11. I have a fair bit of muscle mass because I train daily but am under no illusions: I am morbidly obese, and then some.

My problem is this. I am on a tablet which messes with appetite (it is one I have to be on, at least for any forseeable future so that is not an option, and that need won't be affected by any weight loss).

Consequently, I am *always* hungry. I know the directions are a starch-centred menu with vegetables (and 3 fruits if wanted) but I am never truly satiated.

I am intending to live off lentils and a variety of vegetables but a typical day with what I intende to eat will see me at 2345cals a day.

Can I still lose with an intake so high? I am hoping that I have a lot of weight to shift and this ultra low fact (plus fibre) will tip the scales in my favour...So to speak!

What do you think?
Lighthouse31

Re: How many calories to lose weight?

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:11 pm

Have you heard of Calorie Density?

Check out explanation by McDougall Program’s Jeff Novick RD

Calorie Density Approach to Nutrition and Lifelong Weight Management by Jeff Novick
https://www.forksoverknives.com/wellnes ... anagement/

Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdwWliv7Hg

Measuring and estimating calories is very inaccurate.
Run an experiment. Try starches and vegetables 3x daily for 3 weeks. See what happens.
Adjust the starch up for more satiety. Adjust the vegetables up for more volume, fewer calories.
See for yourself.
michaelswarm

Re: How many calories to lose weight?

Postby debknott » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:27 am

"Measuring and estimating calories is very inaccurate.
Run an experiment. Try starches and vegetables 3x daily for 3 weeks. See what happens.
Adjust the starch up for more satiety. Adjust the vegetables up for more volume, fewer calories.
See for yourself."

Michael's advice is excellent, especially the part quoted above.
debknott

Return to Health Issues