High MCV reading

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

High MCV reading

Postby LindaBue » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:46 pm

Ever since I stopped eating meat over 10 years ago, my MCV reading has been creeping up. At the time I was on sulfasalazine for colitis, but with the diet I was able to get off the medicine. Still, my reading remained high and even went up a bit more. My B12 levels and iron levels are in the normal range. I take a B12 supplement every day nevertheless, and if I don't for a while my MCV goes up more. I can't seem to get it below about 103 or 104. Is there any food or nutrient I may not be getting enough of? My doctor isn't concerned as long as the reading is stable.
LindaBue

Re: High MCV reading

Postby lionandlamb » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:18 am

Hi Linda -- don't want to alarm you and I don't know what a high MCV in and of itself without a context of other health issues means.

I will tell you that my MCV crept to 105 and in the context of having had follicular lymphoma (NED 2 years), and mild anemia ... my oncologist sent me quickly for bloodwork to rule out nutritional deficiencies (there were none) and also a bone marrow biopsy to rule out relapse of follicular lymphoma, and, MDS (myelodysplastic syndrome), which it did rule out, though I have a low level mutation suspicious for myeloid neoplasm. My MCV has since gone back below 100.

I also had chemo for breast cancer in 1998, and in 2020 had a combo of chemo and monoclonal antibodies. Chemo is mutagenic and most likely damaged some DNA.

I have been diagnosed though with macrocytic anemia / macrocytosis / hypocellularity -- all kind of synonymous.

I would press your doctor to investigate further. I've had 5 drop the ball on me.

By the way I am doing fine overall, for 68 years old. Hoping it's nothing serious for you :)
Last edited by lionandlamb on Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought." Isaac Bashevis Singer, author, Nobel Prize 1978
lionandlamb

Postby lionandlamb » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:25 am

Also I am in the Care Oncology Protocol (COC) -- supposedly a cutting edge cancer treatment group that uses off-label drugs to starve cancer metabolically.

Much to my dismay they are obviously very biased toward animal consumption. They recommended I add animal protein "(evidence of protein malnutrition with low total protein, low RBC, and high MCH)". No mention of non-animal sources of protein. :mad:
"In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought." Isaac Bashevis Singer, author, Nobel Prize 1978
lionandlamb

Postby LindaBue » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:13 pm

Thanks for your information, and I hope you're doing well. I got mine down to 98 at one point when my doctor asked if I wanted to see a hematologist. He did blood work, and I ate a lot of pinto beans and molasses, which seemed to bring the reading down. Since then, I haven't been as good about eating lots of plant sources of iron. Sulfasalazine is a known cause of a high reading, and mine spiked when my gastroenterologist had me increase my dosage and take all three pills at once. My reading came down some when I got off the drug, but still remained high. All of my other bloodwork is normal. Since this has been going on since about 2010 when I stopped eating meat, I've chalked it up to the diet.
LindaBue

Postby LindaBue » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:17 pm

I had a benign meningioma removed in 2015, and my current neurosurgeon wants me to eat more protein. At least he didn't insist on animal protein. I got some pea protein powder, which provides 47% of the daily iron requirement, and I'm going to see if that makes a difference. I'm 74 and have the macrocytosis diagnosis as well.
LindaBue

Postby lionandlamb » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:42 am

HI Linda -- yes I've been told that this macrocytosis thing is often found in older folks just as a function of aging.

I find it hard to dwell on food and worry about it ... I hate to shop and I hate to cook ... so I am going to try protein powders also. I ordered some Truvani, and also Complement. Tried Kachava, the chocolate was pretty good.

What is your total protein in your bloodwork? Mine is 6.5 which is low but still in normal range for general public. COC is telling me it's too low in the context of cancer and "evidence of protein malnutrition with low total protein, low RBC and high MCH)". So, if what they are saying is true, it stands to reason that if I get my protein value up the low RBC and high MCH should normalize.

I also posted on facebook in the plant-based nutrition group and some nutrition professionals told me that 6.5 is absolutely fine, and that it's only an indicator for a health issue if it's too high or low. But I'm wondering, in the context of cancer, which I don't think they are fully versed in, it's a different story. And I'm now wondering if there is any legitimacy to the need for animal protein argument. Wondering if vegans have a bias to defend against animal consumption, because of course we are horrified by animal exploitation and murder. I will make a post about it and hope someone well-versed in nutrition will answer.

I am happy that you are off the sulfa drug and are doing better with being vegan.

Let me know how you do with the addition of protein powder and I will do same. :)
lionandlamb

Postby LindaBue » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:42 pm

My protein was 7.2 at my last blood work in January of this year. They listed the normal range as 6.3 to 8. I won't get blood work again until next January, and I'll be interested to see if the pea protein powder makes a difference. Have you looked up Ruth Heidrich's online site for her breast cancer story? I think she eats only raw plant food, mostly because she doesn't like to cook. And she lives in Hawaii, so the weather is probably always mild. I don't think I could do a lot of salads in the winter. I know I feel so much better when I follow a no oil, salt or sugar plant-based diet, but it's hard. I tend to cope with stress by eating sweets. And then I don't get enough good nutrition. I saw something online too that said vegans have naturally higher MCV readings.

Take care of yourself and stick to the plant-based diet. I think it's the best protection against breast cancer.
LindaBue

Postby Drew_ab » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:13 am

LindaBue wrote:Ever since I stopped eating meat over 10 years ago, my MCV reading has been creeping up. At the time I was on sulfasalazine for colitis, but with the diet I was able to get off the medicine. Still, my reading remained high and even went up a bit more. My B12 levels and iron levels are in the normal range. I take a B12 supplement every day nevertheless, and if I don't for a while my MCV goes up more. I can't seem to get it below about 103 or 104. Is there any food or nutrient I may not be getting enough of? My doctor isn't concerned as long as the reading is stable.

Hi Linda,

I have to say that I think virtually even response so far is missing an important point. People who practice calorie restriction (commonly called CR, DR, or CRON) almost always have a borderline high MCV. The reading is of absolutely no consequence and is quite normal for someone following a WFPB lifestyle pattern since the diet naturally tends to be energy restricted based on calorie density. Please note that I have been following this WOE for 11+ years at this point. The link below is the MCV reading from about 16 blood tests over the past 4 years (I aim to get tested quarterly... or as frequently as I can get covered without personal cost).

I am certainly not a doctor so do not take anything I say as medical advice, but I am a long-time reader in this space and frequently analyze blood chemistry from people who follow this lifestyle and what you are describing is very common and is almost certainly no issue whatsoever... Having said that, please feel free to arrive at whatever conclusion you feel makes the most sense for your context.

https://ibb.co/sPXYpxK
Drew_ab

Return to Health Issues