Hair Loss

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hair Loss

Postby jackieleftwich » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:59 am

Hi All:

I've been a McDougaller since 2012. When the pandemic hit I was about 143 pounds. I am 5'7". I wanted to lose a bit of weight so I started eating more salad and more green/yellow veggies. In June 2021 my stylist noticed lots of hair coming out when she washed my hair. This hair loss is unrelated to Covid because I didn't get Covid until Jan 2022. Since June 2021 my hair has been getting thinner and thinner.

I had the chance to speak to Dr. Barnard at a conference and he said his patients who experience this need more protein. It's true I don't eat much beans or lentils.

I am 58, going on 59 in December. I now weigh 129 pounds. Maybe it's hormonal?

My OBGYN wants me to take Spironolactone. This is a diuretic which keeps testosterone from turning into the kind of testosterone that causes hair loss. But a diuretic will hurt my kidneys and make me dizzy. I teach and practice hot yoga. I don't want to pass out in class. She also wants me to raise my ferritin level and take collagen peptides.

Has anyone else experienced hair loss? What did you do? What helped? I'm almost bald.

Thanks for your help.
jackieleftwich

Return to Health Issues