Pacemaker

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pacemaker

Postby Bkworm » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:31 am

It has been ages since I last wrote or participated in the forums. Am in shock but think it is all a done deal and nothing to do now but follow doctors’ instructions. Writing to set my mind at ease and/or find out what we should be doing now. Sorry, but this will be long.

On May 31 my 73-year-old husband went to work at his usual time, came home to clean up, and then went for an appointment with a new primary care physician. My husband had not seen a doctor in about 7 or 8 years and did not want to go at all. His former PCP had retired and my husband needed clearance for cataract removal surgery or he would not have gone at all.

The new PCP started a physical but then set him up for a EKG. The doctor came in and said he needed to go to a nearby ER run by the hospital where DH has worked for almost 45 years. The doctor told him she would call for transport but husband said he felt fine and the ER was very close so he would drive himself.

My husband called to let me know what was going on. I immediately left for the ER. They had him hooked up to an EKG and I don’t know what else. Stated he needed to be transported to the closest campus of the hospital. We waited from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. for transport. Finally arrived at that campus where he was admitted to the cardiac care floor. We were told at ER he had very high blood pressure and a very low pulse (around 30) which I had figured out from the monitors in the ER.

My husband swears he was feeling fine, no dizziness, no fainting, no chest pains, etc., just felt normal. My DH had never said anything about experiencing any of the symptoms they expected. The doctors and other medical personnel just looked at him funny. The only thing I had noticed at home was for some time he would fall asleep in his chair when watching TV or when reading. My father always did that, too, so I just felt my husband was tired from his day at work.

On Thursday DH underwent an ultrasound of his heart which shown some flutters in his heart. On Friday, June 2, he had a heart catheterization completed which detected no blockages at all for which I was very grateful. Doctor said DH was experiencing A-Flutters, not A-Fib, stating it was a bit different than A- Fib. Also told his heart appeared to be very weak.

We were told that my husband definitely needed to undergo an Ablation procedure to correct the Atrial Fibrillation. Yes, they were calling it Atrial Fibrillation instead of A-Flutters by now. However, the procedure could not be completed until Monday, June 5. It was a very long weekend.

They completed a TEE first on Monday to look for clots in his heart. When they discovered no blood clots in his heart they proceeded to do the Ablation. We were shown photos of inside and outside his heart and was told there was very little scar tissue which was a plus. The Ablation went well but they left one of the leads in his groin and heart to take the place of a pacemaker until a pacemaker could be placed on Tuesday, June 6. So from Monday morning until late Tuesday afternoon my husband had to lay flat and not get out of bed because of the lead in his groin and heart. That was probably the worst part of everything he went through.

The pacemaker was placed late Tuesday afternoon. My husband was finally discharged late Wednesday evening one week after he was admitted. He now has a pacemaker which we have been told he will need the rest of his life. After all the medical terms, in essence, the lower part of his heart was not working at all and the pacemaker keeps that part of the heart going and him alive.

DH is taking two medications, Entresto - 24-26 Mg Tab and Eliquis 5 Mg Tab. Each twice a day. One is for high blood pressure and one is a blood thinner. Is this considered a lot of meds and high dosages or just normal?

He was told he could start driving again last weekend but did not. Is planning to attend a luncheon on Thursday for a fellow employee who is leaving for a new position. He is still wearing the brace/sling at night so he does not raise his arm in his sleep. Is walking around the house a lot. DH has horrible bruising from all the procedures but that is finally starting to fade a bit.

Still numb and in shock and not certain what questions I should ask. Tomorrow DH will have been home a week and so far so good. His BP and Pulse are staying in normal ranges. He weighs himself daily and is not suddenly gaining weight as we were told to watch for. DH has a hospital followup on 6/19 (which I don’t understand since he will see the cardiologist) and his first appointment with the cardiologist on 6/22. Any suggestion as to what questions we should be asking at those appointments? Will DH need to stay on the meds forever? Any suggestions as to books we should read or websites we should visit? I think if he had experienced blockages, heart attack etc., I would have been better prepared as to how to proceed

The insurance company sent us a notice stating he could have a Care Manager with an Aetna One Nurse at no cost to us. Would that be a good idea? Or would that just be getting the insurance more involved?

I started the WFPB life over 10 years ago to treat severe RA. I don't prepare food any other way. However, DH and DS eat whatever they want away from the house. I believe the reason DH had no blockages and little scar tissue is due to the WFPB way of eating at least at home. Just no way to prove that.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and advice.
Bkworm
Bkworm

Re: Pacemaker

Postby debknott » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:36 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry you are going through all this. I know from experience that it is scary stuff. In 2016 my husband went into Atrial Flutter and was sent to the emergency room. He spent a night there, and by drug use, his heart converted to sinus rhythm (normal) while sleeping. During follow-up appointments, they tested further and found Atrial Flutter (Afl) on one side of his heart and Atrial Fibrillation (Afib) on the other. He then went in for Ablation surgery, where they went from his groin on each side up to the heart to repair the problems. Since he had both conditions, they had to freeze things on one side and burn things on the other. That scared us some, but all went well. He came home the same day and recovered quickly. He had to take several drugs too, but now only takes a milder diuretic pill. He did not need a pacemaker, but I know two people who have them and have done fine with them.

Then in 2018, I was having cataract surgery and apparently went into Afib in the middle of the procedure. I woke up feeling fine but with people buzzing around me, all flustered and worried. So, off I went to a hospital, still feeling nothing. I spent five days there, not allowed to even stand up without a nurse helping me. I did not respond to the various drugs, so they had to cardiovert me (shock my heart while I was out) and my rhythm has been normal since then. I was on some meds for a short while, but nothing now.

Our heart doctor had both of us undergo sleep studies because sleep apnea can cause these electrical-type heart problems. Sure enough, we both have apnea and now sleep comfortably with CPAP machines. I mention this because using the CPAP machines is often a way to avoid further heart issues, plus, we both sleep better now. My husband now sees the heart doc twice a year, and I go just once.

Of course, I cannot predict how things will go for your husband, but maybe it will help to know that the two of you are not alone in this. We both came out fine on the other side of this frightening experience, and I pray that God will protect and comfort your husband and you as you deal with what you are facing together. :)

Deborah
debknott

Postby Bkworm » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:38 am

Thank you, debknott, for your input and setting my mind at ease at least a bit.

DH drove for the first time today and did well.

Funny you should mention sleep apnea. DH was diagnosed with sleep apnea 20 years ago and used a C-PAP for years. Then there was a problem with the C-PAP and he needed another sleep study. Never bothered to follow up and here we are. No matter what I said or our son said, DH never had another sleep study or got another C-PAP. The doctors believe that is exactly what brought on these issues. Hope someone else benefits from our hard lesson.

Thank you again,
Bkworm
Bkworm

Postby debknott » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:44 am

I will continue to pray for both of you. I hope your husband will now agree to a sleep study and a new machine. The machines are better than they were 20 years ago. My advice is to tell your husband to specifically request a ResMed brand machine. These are the best. I had a Philips Respironics machine first, but I like my ResMed WAY better. Also, Philips is in the midst of a huge recall and has tons of problems. There are other brands, but none are as good as ResMed. And don't be fooled by ResVent. These are not made by ResMed and are not nearly as good.

Also, there are two forums I follow in which people who use pap machines learn from one another how to get the best results from their machines. They helped me a lot. Here are links to both of them in case you want to check them out:

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum ... oard-Forum

https://www.cpaptalk.com/viewforum.php?f=1

Deborah :)

P.S. I am a bookworm too. Reading is my favorite thing. :)
debknott

Postby Bkworm » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:23 pm

Thanks again, debknott, I have made note of the brand of C-PAP. My DH has been trying all day today to get an appointment for a sleep study. Dealing with the insurance company, etc. So nerve racking for me as he does stop breathing and I am waiting to if see he starts breathing again or do I need to call 911. To say I am stressed out with all this is a huge understatement. DH is dealing with A-Flutter again. The doctor tried to correct the issue in the office yesterday but no go. So DH is scheduled to have another TEE on July 10. Hopefully that will take care of the issue. Is starting another med today that supposedly works in conjunction with the procedure. If this does not work, it will mean going through another ablation procedure. Can't undergo another ablation procedure until the leads of the pacemaker are considered permanent, about 6 - 8 weeks after placement.

Yes, I am a life-long bookworm. So many books, so little time.

Thanks so much, debknott.
Bkworm

Postby debknott » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:41 am

Dear Bookworm,

Wow. I sure do understand how stressful this all is. I'm now praying that your guy will be able to have his sleep study and get a new pap machine very soon: Also that God will give both of you His peace that passes understanding through this frightening time.

Actually, our heart doctor set up the sleep studies for us. Maybe yours will too if you ask him. He might be able to get your husband in sooner. We did not have to wait a long time.

I'll post this now, as I have to go now. If I think of anything else that may be useful, I'll post again.

Deborah
debknott

Return to Health Issues