The Big C

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

The Big C

Postby annegene » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:46 pm

Dear Jeff,
I know you cannot give specific advice, but I am hoping you can give even some general insight that would help. I am migrating from Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live (ETL) plan to more of Dr. McDougall's plan. I have been following ETL very strictly for 2 months. I feel great overall and have lost some weight, but there has been one major problem: constipation. It's like the more greens and roughage I eat, the worse it gets. One time it got so bad I had to down a bottle of Magnesium Citrate just to go! It's so weird... on the Standard American Diet, I have no problems. Once I remove meat and dairy, and start eating tons of fiber and vegetables, I start getting backed up. From everything I've read, the opposite should happen! In the last week or so, I have started to integrate more starch in the form of oatmeal, sweet potato, and russet potato. So far, it hasn't helped much, but it's only been a week. My GI doctor has me taking Miralax every day, which helps. I hope it gets better... I'd hate to go back to poor eating just to be able to go to the bathroom on a regular basis!!!
Thanks,
Anne, a.k.a., "Constipated in Irvine"
annegene

Re: The Big C

Postby JeffN » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:57 am

annegene wrote:Dear Jeff,
I know you cannot give specific advice, but I am hoping you can give even some general insight that would help. I am migrating from Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live (ETL) plan to more of Dr. McDougall's plan. I have been following ETL very strictly for 2 months. I feel great overall and have lost some weight, but there has been one major problem: constipation. It's like the more greens and roughage I eat, the worse it gets. One time it got so bad I had to down a bottle of Magnesium Citrate just to go! It's so weird... on the Standard American Diet, I have no problems. Once I remove meat and dairy, and start eating tons of fiber and vegetables, I start getting backed up. From everything I've read, the opposite should happen! In the last week or so, I have started to integrate more starch in the form of oatmeal, sweet potato, and russet potato. So far, it hasn't helped much, but it's only been a week. My GI doctor has me taking Miralax every day, which helps. I hope it gets better... I'd hate to go back to poor eating just to be able to go to the bathroom on a regular basis!!!
Thanks,
Anne, a.k.a., "Constipated in Irvine"

Often, when someone makes a comprehensive dietary change, there may be a period of adjustment while they adapt to the change. Dramatic changes in not only the amount but also the type of fiber, is one of the things that may take a little while to adjust to.

If someone is experiencing constipation, they need to make sure they are following the principles as recommended and consuming enough water. Sometimes, they may want, or need, some extra help.

There are 2 main types of laxatives. One if called a "stimulating" laxative and these will cause anyone to have to go when they take them ( "stimulate" them to go). Examples are Senekot, Castor Oil, etc The other type of laxative is called a "normalizing" laxative and these will only help "normalize" bowel function and not cause anyone to go any more than what would be considered "normal." Examples of this are Metamucil and many of the other "fiber" based laxatives.

At the 10-Day program, we always have whole flaxseed and prune juice available for those who may need a little extra help. A tbsp of the whole flaxseed in the morning and/or 4 oz of prune juice in the evening usually help and are only needed for a very short time

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: The Big C

Postby annegene » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:35 am

Thank you very much, Jeff. I am currently two months and one week into the whole foods vegan diet (with no cheating) and have started to have regular "movement", finally, without Miralax! I do have whole flax seed and will set some aside to take as you have suggested, and get some prune juice, just in case. Thanks again!

Anne
annegene

Return to Jeff Novick, RD