February 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: February 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby alishana » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:53 pm

Michele613 For your flights, you can make cookies by mixing 2 mashed bananas, cinamon and oats. An easy food would also be cucumber maki/sushi and spring rolls! They are MWLP approved and easy to eat.
Have a nice trip !
alishana

Postby Michele613 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:14 pm

Alishana.....sounds good....will look sushi recipe on McDougall now. Yum. I'll just eat 4 dozen healthy cookies on my way :)
Michele613

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:41 pm

Sushi is a great idea! I make it regularly with cucumber, carrot, cooked sweet potato and steamed spinach. I’m hungry just thinking about it!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Jaap Amesz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:21 am

Dear moderator,

Could you please enter my stats? I am joining. Thank you.

Male, 36, 6'6
Current weight: 425
Maximum weight: 601
Goal: 199

More information in my journal in https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=59260.
Jaap Amesz

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:10 am

Welcome Jaap! Excellent idea to keep a journal. Since tomorrow is weigh in day, we’ll post you for 0 and then see where you are the next week. Feel free to comment or ask questions!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Jaap Amesz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:05 am

Hi Lyndzie,

Where do I find the results back? I would like to see how my peers are doing over time. Thank you.
I would like to be able to sent PMs, but I am not allowed (yet). So what do I need to do for that?
Now I have to post here instead of a PM, this messes up the forum a bit.
Jaap Amesz

Postby JeffN » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:42 am

Good luck everyone with this weeks weigh-in.

Let's remember, this weekly weigh-in thread is for those wanting to follow the McDougall MWL program and to help find support, fellowship, education, information etc in following and implementing the MWL Program.

It is possible to travel and be 100% successful. Granted, it may not always turn out the way we planned, but we always increase our odds of success by our pre-planning to succeed. However, if we accept the idea right from the start that we can't travel and successfully follow the MWL, then our odds of success goes way down and we are planning to fail.

Let's try and help each other with ideas and suggestions that are MWL compliant.

I used to travel 70% of the time and still travel 10x a year. With a little planning, it is not difficult. There have been some excellent suggestions but remember, avocado, bread, crackers, rice paper (used in spring rolls), PB2, dried fruit, cookies are not MWL.

Most food is allowed on planes.

Fruit is often allowed, depending on countries traveled to and from, and picking fruits less likely to get squashed works best, such as apples, oranges, grapes etc.

All veggies work and can he had with a MWL hummus or another bean dip.

Brown rice balls, work great as does brown rice and veggies sushi rolls (minus avocado).

And of course, potatoes of all kinds. This is my favorite and while many just bring baked potatoes (white, sweet, red, etc) I make my potatoes into either my chubby chips or Steak Fries as they travel better and taste better.

You can take rolled oats, with some spice in a baggie. All you need is a cup of hot water.

In addition, you can buy several of the McDougall Low -Sodium Soup Cups and put the contents into a bag. Then all you need is a cup of hot water and you have a great meal. Use half the flavor pack which will greatly reduce the sodium.

https://www.rightfoods.com/products/all-products/

Now Foods make a few with Quinoa, The BBQ if very popular and meets all the guidelines.

https://www.nowfoods.com/q-cups

On my trip last week to N CA, which between flight and cars, lasted 9 hours, I packed 3 apples, 2 bags of washed grapes, a baggie of oats with cinnamon, 2 McDougall Lentil Couscous Soups and 2 McDougall Split Pea soup (in baggies)s and a few bags of chubby chips. My longest travels day was 16 hours and I just brought more of the same.

Don't plant to fail, plan to succeed!!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Jaap Amesz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:06 am

Hi Jeff,

Pleased to meet you, this is our first conversation. Thank you for your great work.

On your question of prepping your travel plans to get a no fail environment, I like these options:

1) Take with you just plain oats in a container large enough to add the same amount of water and some room to stir. Then you only need to add water somewhere. I like raw oats with cold water. No microwave needed for me.

2) I cook a large pan of lentils in the morning at home. Then I eat a serving warm. I add some dried pepper to the cooled down lentils and even cold, I like lentils with pepper so much, that I don't even need a sauce to make it interesting. Then I just put the cold lentils in a container to go.

@ Jeff (and others) Now, I have this question regarding doing a Spudfit military mindset. You know, the guy who only ate potatoes for a year and still thrived. Could I eat only oats and lentils as well? That would make things so easy. Then I don't have to think any more. Or should I add something? I am searching for some simple menu's I enjoy and then just repeat day after day.
Jaap Amesz

Postby JeffN » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:23 am

Jaap Amesz wrote:@ Jeff (and others) Now, I have this question regarding doing a Spudfit military mindset. You know, the guy who only ate potatoes for a year and still thrived. Could I eat only oats and lentils as well? That would make things so easy. Then I don't have to think any more. Or should I add something? I am searching for some simple menu's I enjoy and then just repeat day after day.

Welcome.

We don’t recommend any of these overly restricted versions or “hacks” of the McDougall Program, especially in regard to those who want to lose weight. What we recommend is following the guidelines and recommendations of the MWL as outlined in the first post in this thread. This group and the monthly weigh-in thread, is for those committed to the MWL program which is a low calorie-dense starch based diet with the addition of fruits and vegetables.

In the end, we have to learn to live and eat in the world every day, day in and day out. While all and any of these hacks may work in the short term, in the end, they don’t work long term as you still have to learn how to live and eat in the world every day, day in and day out.

We have been at this for over 40 years and have seen every sort of “hack” come and go.

It may help to review this post.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26620&start=135#p569991

In regard to simple and easy, I teach such a cooking class at every McDougall Program, that is called Fast Food, or SNAP. Here is a video preview of it...

https://youtu.be/AuGx72ZSZw4

Here is the full handout of the class including the philosophy, recommended packaged foods, basic recipe template and cooking method.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/Advance ... t_3-13.pdf

It is easily adapted to the MWL program by just leaving out the dried fruit and nuts. All the recipes are designed (and calculated) to be very low in calorie density while very high in satiety.

And a discussion on the program.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10519&p=82887

Want to be “militant?”

Be militant about following the MWL program. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Michele613 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:01 am

Hi Amy,

Guess it was a good week.

Down 3.6

Michele613

Postby Michele613 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:09 am

Hello TICKER keepers.....

I am sooooooooooo frustrated because every Friday I have a serious Senior moment with my ticker. I get so excited because I figure it out one week only to be challenged the next (one week with Moonlight's help). I did not write down or mentally register how I get my ticker to update. I hate to give it up but I think it is not worth my time and disappointment.

Anyone else have this problem?
Michele613

Postby Dpascar » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:46 am

Good morning all. I am down 1.4 this week. I posted elsewhere but my cholesterol went to 177 from 219 in 3 months. I am also down from 229.5 to 194.6 this morning in that same 3 months.
Dpascar

Postby moonlight » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:54 am

I'm down 4 lbs this week! 171. I reported a gain last week that must have been from sodium. Getting a steady loss in is helping me stay more compliant to exercise and no cheats.

Great news, Dpascar! WootWoot!

I wish everyone a great successful week!

Michele,
Here's how I update the ticker (there may be an easier way because I fumble around too):
1) Click on your ticker in your post. This will take you to the Ticker Website
2) Enter your PIN number then click below it on "Edit..."
3) Scroll down and enter your new weight and change the date
4) Scroll down and click "Save"
5) Go to top of your screen (not webpage) and click on the back arrow. Keep clicking on it until you are back on the McD website.
6) Your ticker won't show the update yet. Click the refresh icon for your window screen. Voila! Your ticker should be updated!
A couple of ways to keep up with your ticker:
1) Cut and paste it to your signature. You'll need to go to User Control to do this. If you click your thread (with the ticker in it) to "Edit" you will see the address for the ticker. Copy all of that and move it to your signature page. (Copy, not Cut, it to move it so if you mess up you still have the address in your thread. You can just leave it in the signature section of your threads. That's how mine is set up now.
2) If you only want to use your ticker on Weigh-In day, you can copy and paste it each week from one thread to the next and use the instructions above to update it.
I hope that makes sense! PM me if you have trouble. I'm happy to help, if I can.
moonlight

Postby Michele613 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:58 am

Dpascar,

Good work....keep up the motivation and compliance and you'll be happy and healthy each day and weigh-in.

Have a good week ahead!
Michele613

Postby Michele613 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:02 am

Hi Moonlight,

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG...... I can't believe it! I just went to follow your instructions and went to click on my ticker anddddddddddddddd......now it's updated. I have no idea how because I only came to our forum to read last entries. Maybe after I went out of McD website and came back it somehow updated itself. See what I mean? Hard to figure this out...thanks for your input. I am going to keep it handy to follow because no doubt I'll need to fumble around next week too.

Good work this week........we'll be in touch next week. Have a good one! :-D
Michele613

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program