Use of antibiotics

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Use of antibiotics

Postby Werner1950 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:47 am

After a round of antibiotics (due to dental surgery) I now have thrush. Lovely :) Never ever had that before, and my immune system must be good. I haven't been sick for a year. No colds, flues, nothing.

I am working on mitigating thrush with a prescribed antifungal rinse, but I have three rounds of surgery to go. I read that probiotics are kinda useless. Is maintaining a WFPB regiment the best that I can do, in restoring gut flora?
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Re: Use of antibiotics

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:01 am

Have you searched Jeff’s forum? I’m guessing he had written about this. My hunch would be to incorporate some fermented foods, maybe a little sauerkraut, kimchi, or non-dairy yogurt, to help keep balance. But, I could be way off the mark on this. Obviously, eating the best diet will give you the best outcome, but what more can be done? Maybe there is an antibacterial rinse you can use instead of something systemic? When people get oral piercings they just rinse with Listerine.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Werner1950 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:46 am

Lyndzie wrote:Have you searched Jeff’s forum? I’m guessing he had written about this. My hunch would be to incorporate some fermented foods, maybe a little sauerkraut, kimchi, or non-dairy yogurt, to help keep balance. But, I could be way off the mark on this. Obviously, eating the best diet will give you the best outcome, but what more can be done? Maybe there is an antibacterial rinse you can use instead of something systemic? When people get oral piercings they just rinse with Listerine.

Yes. and I have searched the forum for Thrush as well. Nothing really definitive. I guess I will have to stick with the antibiotic treatment. According to Jeff the research shows that probiotics are about as useless as other supplements. I tend to believe him. My doctor thinks probiotics are helpful because of his families experience.. but he couldn't point to any clinical studies.

I wonder if Greger has anything on this? I will have a look.

(I guess my posting in the Lounge was a no no. I posted there because there seems to be very little response in this forum. Correction taken.)
Werner1950

Postby JeffN » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:54 am

Werner1950 wrote:
Lyndzie wrote:Have you searched Jeff’s forum? I’m guessing he had written about this. My hunch would be to incorporate some fermented foods, maybe a little sauerkraut, kimchi, or non-dairy yogurt, to help keep balance. But, I could be way off the mark on this. Obviously, eating the best diet will give you the best outcome, but what more can be done? Maybe there is an antibacterial rinse you can use instead of something systemic? When people get oral piercings they just rinse with Listerine.

Yes. and I have searched the forum for Thrush as well. Nothing really definitive. I guess I will have to stick with the antibiotic treatment. According to Jeff the research shows that probiotics are about as useless as other supplements. I tend to believe him. My doctor thinks probiotics are helpful because of his families experience.. but he couldn't point to any clinical studies.

I wonder if Greger has anything on this? I will have a look.

(I guess my posting in the Lounge was a no no. I posted there because there seems to be very little response in this forum. Correction taken.)

Probiotics are not recommend and can actually do more harm then good in this situation.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52144

Sometimes, antibiotics are necessary.

Your gut flora will recolonize.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby beachkat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:25 am

I'd talk to your dentist or oral surgeon and explain what happened this last time. I had my wisdom teeth out at age 40+ and antibiotics were recommended as a precaution against infection. At that time my teen daughter had C-diff that she'd been dealing with for months after a round of antibiotics for bronchitis and so I told my dentist I didn't want to take them because of the higher risk of me coming down with it since it was in the house. He agreed and said that was fine.

Depending on the actual surgery you are having and your health the risk of thrush may outweigh the not using antibiotics but there are many people who can get by without them as well.

Grapefruit Seed Extract (NOT grape seed extract) has antibacterial and anti fungal properties. Many people use it to treat thrush.
beachkat

Postby JeffN » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:23 am

beachkat wrote:Grapefruit Seed Extract (NOT grape seed extract) has antibacterial and anti fungal properties. Many people use it to treat thrush.

Not natural, not safe: Grapefruit Seed Extract
- Grapefruit-seed extract is claimed to be a cure-all for nearly every type of infection. But there’s a dangerous problem with GSE that supplement manufacturers haven’t fixed.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/not-na ... d-extract/

"What’s the bottom line with GSE?

There is no evidence suggesting that actual grapefruit seed extract has any meaningful antibacterial, antifungal, or antiviral effects. Repeated testing over the past 20 years has demonstrated that any GSE efficacy is due to product adulteration with one or more synthetic chemical disinfectants. Adulterated or not, there is no reason to take GSE at all. The fact that it continues to be widely sold is testament to the ineffectiveness of regulations that should put consumer safety ahead of a manufacturer’s right to sell a dodgy product."

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Werner1950 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:39 am

My oral surgeon is also a friend. So I am in close contact with him. He said that the next procedures may not need as heavy a dose of antibiotics. We will see. I get another couple of implants this week. I have a slight leaky aortic valve, and I think that is what concerns dentists the most. It used to be that an antibiotic prescription was routine before any visit to the dentist for me, but in the last couple of years they have dropped that requirement.

Thanks Jeff for your vigilance and advice.
Werner1950

Return to Health Issues