My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby Trinity » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:12 pm

Great job with the bridal shower, Marilyn! It sounded perfect. Whew—aren’t you glad you can check that off? :)
Trinity

Postby squealcat » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:57 pm

Yes ! Glad I can check it off my list of to-do's !

The lesson I learned today is: Don't wait too long to eat !! I had very good intentions today. Went to church this morning, then went to the gym to walk. I had a banana in the car before going in to the gym and brought water. I did ok with that but THEN I went home, had a cup of tea and then did my stretches for 30 minutes. I was pretty hungry by then but didn't really feel starving. I had steel cut oats and blueberries finally. It was 12:30pm and I took my shower and did some other housework things. It was 3PM and I was very hungry. Had a large salad (my usual) and then made a chickpea salad and had it on toast (Ezekiel bread). Then I just couldn't stop eating !! Dr Lisle calls it the cram circuit. I call it "too hungry" and restricted eating. I was out of control! Good thing I don't have anything too crazy in my house (just peanut butter). Anyway, it is almost 8PM and I am still not hungry.

Tomorrow I will make an adjustment. I usually have my lunch at about 1:30 and I will do that tomorrow and have my breakfast earlier too. I bet it will make a difference. I am trying to see if just eating the Starch Solution way will make my eating more stable and also give me weight loss at the same time. It won't work if I go crazy and keep eating after I already ate. I don't plan on having peanut butter or other rich foods like that. Once in a while some bread and rarely avocado but otherwise just eat like I have been. I will see how tomorrow goes !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:13 pm

Today went a lot better but not perfect. I ate my meals before I got too hungry and was just a little out of control but not like yesterday. I was hungry for dinner and had a small salad and a couple cups of summer squash soup. I feel satisfied now and I am done for the day.

Still pondering if I should join the MWL group for April. I had a slice of bread today and it may have made me slide into a little overeating. I really should stay away from all that and I am pretty comfortable with MWL way of eating. I will continue to think about it and maybe see some of you on the April MWL board.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:14 pm

Today went a lot better but not perfect. I ate my meals before I got too hungry and was just a little out of control but not like yesterday. I was hungry for dinner and had a small salad and a couple cups of summer squash soup. I feel satisfied now and I am done for the day.

Still pondering if I should join the MWL group for April. I had a slice of bread today and it may have made me slide into a little overeating. I really should stay away from all that and I am pretty comfortable with MWL way of eating. I will continue to think about it and maybe see some of you on the April MWL board.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:58 pm

Exercise today: Walked 3 miles but no special stretches , just some back stretching as my back is kinda stiff today

Breakfast: blueberries and steel cut oats
Lunch: large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar for dressing, brown rice with lentil soup over it and an apple
Dinner: veg soup made with brussel sprouts (something new for me and it was very good !), broccoli, brown rice with lentil soup over it, apple

Good day today. Using my MWL checklist and it is going well !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:32 am

I am usually quite lazy on Sundays but the weather is quite nice right now ! I went outside and walked for 30 minutes. No headphones or cell phone. Just ME ! Met a neighbor and we chatted a bit and that was nice too!

Breakfast was steel cut oats and peaches. I guess that wasn't enough because I am hungry (pretty hungry ! ) right now. It has only been an hour and a half ! I have a potato in the fridge so I will have that and a cucumber. Going to cook more potatoes (and mashed potatoes ) today so I can always have more :nod: !

-squealcat

Later:

Lunch today was a big salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar followed by brown rice and lentils that I needed to finish
Dinner: veg soup, broccoli, potato, and one of my veg burgers with a little barbeque sauce ...and then had a banana because I was still a bit hungry

All done now ! Have a good evening and good day tomorrow !
squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:28 pm

No exercise today. Raining and snowing . I had things to do early morning and that is usually my time for a walk. Just don't feel like walking later in the day; especially when the weather is so grey and wet.

Breakfast: steel cut oats with blueberries I was hungry so had a large portion.
Lunch: large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar , rice and beans, then a potato and then an apple
Dinner: veg soup, broccoli, mashed potatoes, large pear

Had a good day today ! In the afternoon I was still hungry a while after lunch and I started to get an urge for bread. I though to myself, "what would a Star Mcdougaller do ???" Then I had a potato and an apple ! I am happy for that thought today. :)

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:39 pm

Exercise today: Walked 2.5 miles

Breakfast: old fashioned oats, blueberries
Lunch: large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar and some myocoba beans on top followed by some mashed potatoes with a little rice and beans. I was very satisfied after that lunch and no temptation to eat more.
Dinner: veg soup and the rest of the rice and beans followed by a pear. Forgot to have steamed veggies with dinner :roll:

I made a recipe in the instant pot using whole grain pasta, artichoke hearts, onion, black rice and tomato sauce. I didn't have any mushrooms left otherwise I would have added those. It is a recipe by Well Your World and I liked the ease of making it. Turned out pretty good too! I have been really avoiding almost all blogs, vlogs , facebook groups etc that have tempting recipes and ideas other than McDougall. It has helped me a lot t his week.

I continue to say to myself: "What would a Star McDougaller do? " That question is helping me this week along with putting checkmarks on my MWL checklist after each meal.

Onward to Wednesday !
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:37 pm

Today I watched my little grandson so off to my daughter's house I went ! I have had trouble with food when at her house but I just went with the intension of being a Star McDougaller for the day.

Breakfast: Old fashioned oats and blueberries.
Lunch: veg soup, whole grain pasta with sauce and veggies, apple and a potato
Dinner: large salad, half cup of beans, balsamic vinegar, mashed potatoes, banana
off plan was a cup of almond milk, PB2, and a Tbls of cocoa powder (better than what I usually eat off plan so I am fine with it )

No exercise today but will tomorrow and the next day so that will be 5 days of exercise for the week. Hope it is decent outdoors tomorrow so I can walk outside but otherwise it will be at the gym. Rained most of the day today but had a little sunshine later afternoon.

Trying to make plans for Easter. So hard because our kids are so busy. Maybe just a visit with them if they can come and have snacks or something.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:46 pm

I had a close call today but it all went well !

Exercise: walked about 45 minutes today at the gym.....chilly, windy and raining :-(

Breakfast: old fashioned oats and blueberries then had a potato before going shopping because I still was hungry
Lunch: had a banana after getting groceries then had my veg soup after putting everything away followed by my pasta/tomato sauce meal
Later: hungry again so reheated a grain mix with lentils and an apple
Dinner: not so hungry now so had a medium salad with balsamic vinegar and a half cup of bean over it followed by a pear

Close call was when I was grocery shopping. I got a strong urge to buy one or two rich treats for myself. I had a talk to myself saying I would not die if I went without the treat and then I wondered how long this urge would last. I even went to the bakery department and picked up a (packaged) piece of yummy looking cake and almost put it in my basket ! I put it back and paid for my food and went home. :P I really felt either hungry or just needing to eat. Jeff N has said that whatever it was, I should just eat but make it a McDougall food. That is what I did. I could have done better and figured out a 50/50 type plate but if I did that I feared I would fumble. I did pretty good though I think. That strong urge lasted a good 45 minutes. I didn't die! :wink:

I should have a pretty good report tomorrow on the MWL board! Now, on to tomorrow !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:42 pm

squealcat wrote:the soup recipe is in Dr Neal Barnards "Breaking the Food Seduction" book. He has oil in the recipes in this book. I leave it out.

Cream of Cauliflower and Lima Bean Soup

-squealcat

Thanks! I definitely will try it. I don't like oil in recipes either. Doesn't add anything.

Sorry to take so long to reply; have been bummed out by the war, politics, climate change. Sigh. But I am coming back.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:43 pm

squealcat wrote: I though to myself, "what would a Star Mcdougaller do ???"
-squealcat

Excellent! what a good idea.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby squealcat » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:51 pm

Yes, Marsha, that has helped me out a few times this week. I got that idea from something someone posted on the MWL site.

exercise today: walked 2 miles at the gym . My back is a bit touchy today. If I stand too long it starts to bother me a bit. Walking doesn't seem to hurt it so I continue with that.

Breakfast: old fashioned oats with banana
Lunch: large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar (I have been adding chopped fennel bulb to my salads and I really like the crunch and the flavor ), pasta with tomato sauce , blood orange
Dinner: veg soup, broccoli, dal over a cooked grain mix, apple
Snack: between lunch and dinner I got hungry so I had a few carrot sticks and celery followed by a small yellow potato

I had a good week following the MWL program. This week I am concentrating on getting better with the 50/50 plate. I prepped celery and carrots to use when I need to have a potato or two when hungry between meals. I also have broccoli and cauliflower washed and prepped to steam before dinner. Tomorrow I will make some veg soup. Oh, I probably need to make more mashed potatoes too !

That wedding is still in the works ! This week I will finish up the invitations for the rehearsal dinner we are hosting. Will be glad to check that off my list. I take comfort in realizing that my list is a lot shorter than the bride's and her family. :nod:

My grandson who has special needs went by ambulance to the children's hospital this afternoon. I offered to help with his sister. Unfortunately, because the little guy visits there somewhat often, they have a routine and switch places every few hours. I watched him just 2 days ago and he was fine. Things change with him quickly ! If you are reading this and are a praying person, prayers are appreciated ! So stressful for his parents !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Trinity » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:05 pm

Marilyn, I am definitely praying for your poor sweet grandson. I hope you are able to finish preparations for the wedding and rehearsal dinner soon. Your food looks great. I’m going to make hummus and put it on salad—sounds delicious.
Trinity

Postby squealcat » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:16 pm

Thank you all for the prayers! My grandson was not doing well but now is back home and is feeling very good. He has a trach and is on a ventilator so any little thing can upset his health. He went downhill pretty quickly and they think it was due to a mucus plug. When he started feeling well he turned back into his noisy kicking self again that we all love ! He has a muscle disorder which makes movement hard for him but he does his best ! Thank you again ! I always worry about him. I am grandma :nod:

exercise: walked 3 miles at the gym today ! yay! My lower back is still not right but it is my SI joint that gives me trouble on and off since I had my last baby (who is 30 years old now ). Boooo! But I am ok.

Breakfast: steel cut oats and blueberries. Had a banana before going to the gym and then breakfast after.
Lunch: large salad, my hummus and balsamic vinegar as dressing, pasta with my tomato sauce , blood orange
Dinner: bowl of veg soup, carrots, baked yellow potato, lentil loaf (ate the last of it so need to make and freeze more ) banana, then ate another banana because I was tempted to have something else and didn't want to go crazy. I am done now. Drinking Bubly water now and am satisfied !

Wow ! If you haven't yet, read the last little bit of April's MWL time and adherence post. there is a quote by Jim that I copied because it spoke to me. I need to read it every day !

-squealcat
squealcat

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals