No topic.

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: No topic.

Postby Trinity » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:26 pm

Marsha, you are so right, “recover” is the perfect word. I definitely crave alcohol as a coping mechanism when I’m bored, anxious, or want to do something fun, and I agree, it’s so much easier to wake up in the morning if I abstain completely, even if I haven’t gotten enough sleep. I’m going to continue limiting it to Sat./Sun. but tonight I am celebrating. Thanks for your post!

Today: black coffee, the rest of the Rainbow Salad my mom made me (brown rice, beans, corn, peas, vegetables), fruit, some Starburst jellybeans, 1 Cherry Coke Zero, potatoes, 3 oz. gin. Exercised. For dinner we’re having the rest of the Kitchen Sink Soup she made for me and some more brown rice, but brown rice/beans/vegetables are already on the list.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:54 pm

Well, last night was lose-lose. I had already measured out my drink and stuck it in the freezer so I drank it but I came home to a clogged kitchen sink (again!) and then later my older daughter had a stomachache which sends me into a tailspin so it was just not a great night. The good news is she was fine and also I managed to unclog the kitchen sink with a trick one of the guys showed me once, one of the first times it got clogged.

This evening I had just spent a couple of hours cleaning the house and was going to have the last Cherry Coke Zero but I guess my husband drank it. I drank a beer instead as it was 5 pm and what a mistake, it made me so sleepy. I hope I’ll learn from the last 2 nights and get back on track tomorrow, especially since we have another evening activity.

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, fruit, the rest of the Kitchen Sink Soup, potatoes, balsamic vinegar, 1 beer, brown rice, Starburst FaveRed jellybeans, 1 glass of red wine, McDougall gravy, corn, and peas. Exercised.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:20 pm

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, fruit, potatoes, 4 Starbursts, a small handful (really!) of Starburst FaveRed jellybeans, 1 Reese’s egg, 1 (bite-sized) Twix, 1 Reese’s cup, some honey graham M&M’s, (white) couscous with vegetables and chickpeas, salad with balsamic vinegar, 3 oz. gin. Exercised.

Today was great (even though it looks like a lot of candy everything was small). As you can see I still had some feast/treat items but it technically is Easter Sunday every day for 8 days. Also, I didn’t overindulge and I timed everything so that I felt great all day. For dinner I made a “Delicae Gourmet” box that had couscous and vegetables and I added a can of chickpeas instead of the chicken. Some of these are great and some don’t work quite as well because they all call for adding some sort of meat. I left the chicken out of this one of course and it worked great. I say great but really only my husband and I liked it (though husband liking it is a huge win) as the older kids thought it was too spicy. Youngest skated by dinner eating fruit and croutons.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:41 pm

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, corn, peas, diced tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, fruit, white rice, 2 2-bite brownies and 1 homemade, 1 sugar cookie, 1 M&M cookie, 1 bite-sized Oreo, a couple sips of a Fanta, 1 beer. Exercised.

There was a picnic for my husband’s work this afternoon and I sampled each of the desserts and nothing tasted very good. The homemade brownie was the worst—the first thing I tasted was egg. The least bad thing was the 2-bite brownies so I had one more of those. The first was to get it off my son’s plate who had helped himself to about 5 of them. If I had white-knuckled through it I know I would have come home and eaten Easter candy and more of it so I’m happy with the afternoon and also happy that nothing tasted good to me.

I keep trying to remember to delete the subject so it doesn’t say Re: No Topic. every single time!

I’m also reading though Anna Green’s journal. I’m a little more than halfway. Her food sounds delicious. I wish I had the inclination to cook more like her.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:30 pm

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk

Breakfast (out): black coffee, vegan burger on lettuce instead of a bun with tomato, pickle, onion, and 1 olive, sweet potato fries (contained oil), pancake (not vegan), maple syrup, fruit, honey

L (at like 4 pm): potatoes, green beans, balsamic vinegar, an orange

S: a cannoli

D: marinara pizza (wasn’t very good—not enough sauce), a beer. Exercised.

There’s about an hour between when I drop my older kids off at school and when my youngest has to be at preschool T W Th. Her school is downtown and the only thing open before 9 in the morning is a Cuban place which is about a 2 block walk. Well, I promised her I’d take her before school one day but then got worried that if they were slow we might not get out in time so we finally went today. All she really wanted was her drink, the ice, and then one of the puffy peppermints you could get on the way out. So I ate both my meal and hers. The burger was the junky Boca burger kind and not the homemade kind where you can see the beans/corn/rice or whatever in it which was shocking for the price. When we got home less than 20 minutes later she asked for a snack. Answer: No.

This evening I went and got the pizzas and since they accidentally made my marinara pizza a little small they gave me a free cannoli which I told them was not necessary but they did anyway. I ate it on the way home. It was incredible. I want to shun all non-Italian desserts but I know I’ll eventually eat another one since I’m never going back to Italy. Did I mention the place is run by a guy from Rome. Too bad the pizza stunk. I could hear them in the kitchen because they were late getting it ready and everyone other than the Italian guy was confused by a pizza without cheese. I’ve mentioned this before but in Italy the first and cheapest pizza on the menu is always marinara pizza (just crust and sauce). Anyways, the only reason I bother getting marinara pizza instead of just eating potatoes is that usually at least one of my kids will have a slice which dilutes the junk they’re eating. Trying to decide if it’s worth the hassle.

Edit: I typed this all in the browser and the font still did the tiny thing! Why?
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:08 pm

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, the rest of the marinara pizza, potatoes, vegetables, balsamic vinegar, fruit, some Sour Patch Kids, 2 beers, 3 onion rings, a veggie burger, French fries, ketchup, 2 Reese’s cups.

Both daughters are at the grandparents’ so we’re enjoying some time alone with our son and took him out to dinner. Busy day, lots of driving and other stuff, didn’t exercise.
Trinity

Postby squealcat » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:02 am

You have a very busy life ! You are holding it all together well while trying to improve by using little steps. Good for you ! I used to have that kind of life (and would have had many more Reece's cups ;-) ). It is easier now but sometimes a bit too quiet. Enjoy the crazy days as much as you can.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Trinity » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:53 pm

Haha, Squealcat, thank you. I do enjoy it. It’s crazy but a good crazy and I’m just so grateful I’m not having to also fit in a part-time job like I have in the past. I’m so impressed you have five! I know Lyndzie has three and a full-time job now so no wonder she hasn’t been around. The Reese’s cups were from a bag my mother-in-law bought when she was here and left in the pantry and luckily there were only two left.

Today: exercised.

B: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, potatoes

L: rest of the mashed potatoes which had some more unsweetened Silk in them & salt

D: met my mom and dad with my son to collect the daughters and go out to eat. I went hungry because I found a white rice and vegetable dish I could get without the meat, but it wasn’t enough food. The waitress forgot to bring our appetizer which was soft pretzel bites so that would’ve helped. But after that and a glass of white wine, on the way home I ate the rest of my youngest mac & cheese (Kraft—no wonder she barely ate any—it doesn’t taste like much of anything), which shocked my son, and then a few of the cookies my mom sent home with us. Should have just eaten a bunch of potatoes beforehand. Next time, Gadget.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:27 pm

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, a Keurig cup of coffee that turned out to be hazelnut cappuccino (instead of just hazelnut-flavored black coffee so had dairy in it), a lemon bar type thing (that a friend who went out of his way offered to me that I would have felt guilty refusing), vegetables, balsamic vinegar, nutritional yeast, potatoes, fruit. Exercised.

Husband is out of town all week. Please let all the kiddos stay healthy this time!
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:09 pm

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, fruit, potatoes, vegetables, balsamic vinegar. Exercised.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:44 pm

Today: black coffee (so hard to wake up—also we’re out of unsweetened Silk and 2 stores didn’t have it), fruit, potatoes, A1, vegetables. My daughter asked me why I never make black bean brownies or banana bread anymore and that made me sad. I never made them that often, just from time to time or some pumpkin muffins but I just haven’t been craving that stuff and the family prefers conventional stuff I can pick up at the store. Also it would drive me nuts to see my husband spread Earth Balance or Biscoff cookie butter (oily) on my carefully crafted (ha—hardly) oil-free treats. Anyways I made some black bean brownies and since we didn’t have any bananas I did the banana bread recipe but just with extra applesauce. I also dehydrated some canned sliced pineapple in the air fryer for her which I’ve been meaning to do for ages. So I had some (McD) black bean brownies with a little powdered sugar, (McD) “applesauce bread,” some dried pineapple, and then pasta for dinner with oil-free sauce. Exercised.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:09 pm

Today: tea, 2 oz. sweetened Silk, potatoes, white rice, fruit, a (McD) black bean brownie, (white) pasta with oil-free sauce, vegetables, balsamic vinegar. Exercised.

Marilyn, my mom got me into Wordle. Now the kids are into it so my son holds my phone and we all work on it in the car on the way to school.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:52 pm

Today: black coffee, potatoes, some black bean brownies and applesauce bread because the kids won’t eat it anymore, the rest of youngest’s cotton candy from Easter (grandma), some whole-wheat quick bread (Jan Tz recipe but fell in the middle—I’ll have to try again), fruit, vegetables, balsamic vinegar. Exercised. So glad it’s Friday night.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:21 pm

This week was emotionally exhausting and then I was positive my youngest broke her shin this afternoon while we were out but she can walk and run so I guess it’s fine which is a miracle. Thank God. Also husband is home. But also have youngest’s cold.

Today: tea, 2 oz. sweetened Silk, the rest of the applesauce bread (cake, really) and black bean brownies, a grande soy latte from Starbucks, potatoes, vegetables, balsamic vinegar, fruit, 1 beer, whole-wheat quick “bread” (also really cake), 1 glass of red wine, chickpea pasta (I cannot recommend this—mushy and tasted weird, not like chickpeas), oil-free sauce, dried pineapple. Exercised.
Trinity

Postby deweyswakms » Sun May 01, 2022 10:25 am

Trinity wrote:Today: black coffee, potatoes, some black bean brownies and applesauce bread because the kids won’t eat it anymore,

oops, just cause the kids won't eat it anymore doesn't mean you have to finish - bet you don't want to waste it. Will it freeze? if so, then you have it for the next time they ask for it!

I know it is very hard to try to change what you eat with other people who don't go along with the program. One thing that helps me when the Temptations are calling me is I say 'you're not real food'.

Good luck, keep going! Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals